Electrical Power ~ we all need it wherever we are these days and GP Batteries have a range of M2 Series PowerBanks to help us, writes Mike Gormley.
Recently we have had the opportunity to make use of two of the GP range of PowerBanks; the M2 Series 10000mAh (10K model) and the 20000aMh (20K model).
Four of these palm-sized chargers were taken by a friend of mine, John Chart, to Norway for a trekking and canoe expedition run by the Curtis Palmer Programme, part of a charity for both ex-service and blue light personnel who have a range of physical and/or other medical issues. For this expedition it was important to have power so they could record the event and of course maintain communications where at all possible in quite remote areas.
The GP M2 Series PowerBanks are robust and very easy to use, offering a good source of power for various devices and proved to be ideal. While the team were away, I too made good use of the one of the 10K units, which I held back as a reference unit. Like those on the expedition, I have found it really handy both at home if I need to give a boost charge but do not want to be attached to a wall. Clearly, if I am away from home the PowerBank is invaluable.
The 10000mAh or 10K is able to re-power a mobile phone twice from full, so good for a two or three day trip at least; the 20000mAh or 20K of course gives twice this. These units are fitted with a USB A input and USB C input / output sockets and there is an indicator LED to show charge level. A button on the side of the PowerBank initiates a low power mode to charge such items as earphones and watches. Power Banks can be re-powered from the mains when available or by solar or wind generators, which was the case on the Norway expedition; more of this another time in this section of the website.
GP M2 10000 mAh Specifications:-
- Input: USB-C: DC 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A, 18W Max.
- Output: USB-C: DC 5V/3A, 9V/2.22A, 12V/1.67A, 20W Max, USB-A: DC 5V/4.5A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A, 22.5W Max, USB-C + USB-A: DC 5V/3A, 15W Max.
- Support PD 3.0, QC 3.0, PPS, SCP, FCP, AFC fast charge
- Optimised low power charging for Bluetooth earphones and smart watches
- Dimensions: 133(L) x 67(W) x 14.5(H) mm
- Weight: 210g (approx.)
- Battery Type: Lithium Polymer 3.7V
- Approx. Recharging Time: 4 hours via PD USB-C to USB-C cable or 6.5 hours via USB-A to USB-C cable
- Safety Protection: Over voltage protection, Over current protection, Over charging and discharging protection, Short circuit protection, Over and under temperature protection, Loop back protection
- 30cm Essentials USB-A to USB-C cable included
[images © Mike Gormley unless noted]