18 NATO Allies and Partner nations have gathered for one of NATO’s longest-running maritime exercises, BALTOPS, which is in its 50th iteration.
One of NATO’s longest-running maritime exercises, BALTOPS, is marking its 50th iteration. The 2021 exercise brings together forces from 18 NATO Allies and partner nations for a dynamic collective defence scenario that includes air defence, anti-submarine warfare, amphibious operations and mine counter-measure operations.
Held between 6 and 18 June 2021, BALTOPS (Baltic Operations) is an annual exercise designed to enhance interoperability and demonstrate resolve in the Baltic Sea region. The exercise is led by Naval Striking and Support Forces NATO (STRIKFORNATO).
This NATO Multimedia footage includes shots of UK Royal Marine Commandos performing a night landing and capturing a target on the Lithuanian coastline near the city of Klaipėda; Lithuanian Navy and Special Operations Forces conducting manoeuvres at sea in high-speed boats; Portuguese Marines conducting an assault of a port and a helicopter medical evacuation; and various naval forces manoeuvring in the Baltic Sea.
- (00:00) Lithuanian Naval Special Operations Forces driving a rigid-hulled inflatable boat (RHIB)
- (00:10) Lithuanian Navy boarding team and Special Operations Forces patrolling in a RHIB
- (01:07) Portuguese Marines performing a simulated medevac with a Lithuanian Air Force helicopter
- (01:34) Portuguese Marines performing a simulated assault on a sea port
- (01:51) Lithuanian Navy boarding team and Special Operations Forces patrolling in a RHIB
- (02:14) UK Royal Marine landing craft in the surf
- (02:25) UK Royal Marines landing on a beach and moving to secure beachhead
- (02:50) UK Royal Marines moving through the forest
- (03:08) UK Royal Marine performing a section attack on a fixed target
- (03:30) UK, Polish, Lithuanian and Portuguese Marines moving in unison through a shipyard
- (04:15) Royal Canadian Navy frigate HMCS Halifax launches its RHIB
- (04:30) Gunnery drills aboard a Royal Norwegian Navy Skjold-class corvette
- (04:39) Norwegian troops aboard ship
- (04:46) Royal Danish Air Force F-16 fighter in flight
- (04:51) Ships from Standing NATO Maritime Group One at sea
- (05:05) Royal Danish Air Force F-16 fighters fly past HMCS Halifax during an air defence exercise
- (05:14) UK Royal Fleet Auxiliary landing ship dock RFA Mounts Bay approaches HMCS Halifax for a replenishment at sea
- (05:18) : HMCS Halifax conducts a replenishment-at-sea with US Military Sealift Command combat support ship USNS Supply