Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Armed Forces heads strategic deterrence forces exercise launches of ballistic and cruise missiles.
Press Release, Moscow, 19 February 2022: On February 19, 2022, under the leadership of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin, a planned exercise of the strategic deterrence forces was held during which ballistic and cruise missiles were launched.
The forces and means of the Aerospace Forces, the Southern Military District, the Strategic Missile Forces, the Northern and Black Sea Fleets were involved in the exercise.
- The Aerospace Forces successfully launched the Kinzhal hypersonic ballistic missiles.
- Ships and submarines of the Northern Fleet and the Black Sea Fleet launched Kalibr cruise missiles and Zirkon hypersonic missiles at sea and ground targets.
- In the Astrakhan region, at the Kapustin Yar training ground, the Iskander ground-based cruise missile was launched.
- From the position area of Plesetsk state test cosmodrome, Yars intercontinental ballistic missile was launched at the Kura training ground on Kamchatka Peninsula.
- Air-launched cruise missiles fired from Tu-95MS long-range strategic missile carriers hit targets at the Pemboi and Kura training grounds.
- From the waters of the Barents Sea, a strategic nuclear submarine cruiser Karelia of the Northern Fleet launched Sineva ballistic missile at target at the Kura training ground.
The exercise of the strategic deterrence forces was planned earlier, during which the readiness of the military command and control bodies, launch combat crews, crews of warships and strategic missile carriers to perform the assigned tasks, as well as the reliability of the weapons of strategic nuclear and non-nuclear forces, was checked.
The tasks envisaged during the training of the strategic deterrence forces were completed in full, all missiles hit their targets, confirming the specified characteristics.
Source: Russian Federation MoD Directorate of Media Service and Information