The US Department of Defence has today announced authorisation of an additional $400 million in security assistance for Ukraine.
For Immediate Release, Washington DC, 10 November 2022: Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) announces the authorisation of a Presidential Drawdown of security assistance valued at up to $400 million to meet Ukraine’s critical security and defence needs. This authorisation is the Biden Administration’s twenty-fifth drawdown of equipment from DoD inventories for Ukraine since August 2021.
Capabilities in this package include:
- Missiles for HAWK air defence systems;
- Four Avenger air defence systems and Stinger missiles;
- Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS);
- 21,000 155mm artillery rounds;
- 500 precision-guided 155mm artillery rounds;
- 10,000 120mm mortar rounds;
- 100 High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles (HMMWVs);
- 400 grenade launchers;
- Small arms, optics, and more than 20,000,000 rounds of small arms ammunition;
- Demolition equipment for obstacle clearing;
- Cold weather protective gear.
With Russia’s unrelenting and brutal air attacks on Ukrainian critical infrastructure, additional air defence capabilities are critical. The HAWK missiles, which will be refurbished using Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative funds, will complement Spain’s recent commitment of HAWK launchers to help Ukraine meet this threat. The Avenger short-range air defence systems will also provide Ukraine with capability to protect Ukrainian troops and critical infrastructure against Unmanned Aerial Systems and helicopters.
In total, the United States has committed more than $19.3 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of the Biden Administration. Since 2014, the United States has committed more than $21.4 billion in security assistance to Ukraine and more than $18.6 billion since the beginning of Russia’s unprovoked and brutal invasion on February 24. To meet Ukraine’s evolving battlefield requirements, the United States will continue to work with its Allies and partners to provide Ukraine with key capabilities.