Rafael Unveils its Enhanced SAMSON 30mm Integrated RWS (Remote Weapons Station) for Light Vehicles at AUSA 2021 in Washington DC.
Press Release, October 2021: Rafael Advanced Defense Systems is participating in AUSA 2021, the Association of the US Army’s annual conference, in Washington, DC from October 11-13, 2021. Rafael will showcase its newly enhanced SAMSON 30mm Integrated Remote Weapons Station (RWS) for Light Vehicles for the first time at the conference.
With a combination of the world’s most cutting-edge, reliable, and effective solutions the SAMSON 30mm Integrated RWS is designed to address the threats of the modern battlefield. The SAMSON is equipped with hostile fire detection capabilities and the ability to rapidly and effectively return fire via a fast, accurate slew-to-cue mechanism. It also includes a unified user interface for all subsystems, an inherent hatch for close situational awareness, and under-armour ammunition loading that increases lethality. These capabilities enable the SAMSON to turn a light vehicle into a lethal powerhouse on par with a main battle tank.
A key element of SAMSON’s lethality suit is its integration of the SPIKE LR 1 & 2 multi-purpose guided missiles, and its full collaboration TROPHY Active Protection System (APS), two of Rafael’s most groundbreaking solutions. These allow the RWS to provide unparalleled manoeuvrability, lethality, and survivability. With a SAMSON turret, a vehicle is always at the ready, always on the attack, and always able to stop and respond to threats.
The SAMSON is a sibling of Rafael’s MCWS that was a key element of Oshkosh Defense’s winning proposal to up-gun the US Army’s Strykers for today’s threats. In addition to the MCWS, throughout AUSA, Rafael will also showcase several other ground-breaking systems and solutions including:~
- SPIKE Missile Family: 5th generation, multi-purpose, EO-guided missile systems that provide pinpoint accuracy on land, at sea, and in the air. The SPIKE family can upgrade helicopters into powerful force multipliers, enabling ultra-long standoff ranges, enhanced lethality in a lightweight package, and extended mission endurance.
- SPIKE SR, a light weight (10 kg), shoulder-fired munition, with an enhanced range of 2000 metres, increasing lethality at the individual squad level, is one of the many SPIKE variants that will be on display.
- Our SPIKE family members for helicopters, which upgrade helicopters into powerful force multipliers, enabling ultra-long standoff ranges and enhanced lethality in a lightweight package and extended mission endurance, will also be on display.
Air Defense Systems: As the developer of the Iron Dome, Rafael is synonymous with air defence excellence, and offers a full range of multi-layered solutions for effective defence and superiority against UAS, rockets, artillery, mortars, cruise missiles, and beyond. On display at AUSA we will have:
- Iron Dome: (SKY-HUNTER) With over 2,500 combat interceptions, at a success rate of 90%, Iron Dome’s success speaks for itself. The Iron Dome missile defence system is the world’s only multi-mission system that provides a combat-proven defence against cruise missiles, PGMs, rockets, artillery, and mortars (C-RAM), aircraft, helicopters, and UAVs.
- David’s Sling: (SKY-CEPTOR) Considered the world’s most revolutionary innovation in the family of interceptor systems, David’s Sling Weapon System (DSWS) is an air defence system designed to intercept medium-range missiles. DSWS provides an affordable, lethal hit-to-kill solution for the huge volume of asymmetric threats.
- DRONE DOME: : An end-to-end, combat proven counter-Unmanned Aerial System (C-UAS) providing all-weather, 360-degree rapid defence against hostile drones. DRONE DOME detects even small targets at distances over 3.5 km, intercepts and neutralizes with soft and hard kill measures, while ensuring maximum safety to friendly aircraft.
- FIRE WEAVER: A networked system connecting all battlefield elements in real time, Fire Weaver instantly selects the most relevant effector shooter for every acquired target. Simultaneously handling multiple targets using AI and data fusion, Fire Weaver enables warfighters to receive and share battlefield data via augmented reality icons on their weapon sights, creating a common situational awareness picture for all participants.
- SKYSPOTTER: A passive electro-optical Early Warning System with a high probability of detection and a very low false alarm rate, SKYSPOTTER enhances the capability of air defence radar detection systems. For the first time, SKYSPOTTER will be showcased through a simulator at AUSA.