NATO fighter pilots train at the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training (ENJJPT) Program at Sheppard Air Force Base in the United States.
The next generation of Allied fighter pilots is being trained at the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training (ENJJPT) Program, a multinational training programme based at Sheppard Air Force Base in the United States.
Allied students go to Texas to learn the fundamentals of flight, progressing from ground school to the prop-driven T-6 Texan trainer – and finally, to the T-38 Talon, a supersonic jet trainer that prepares them for the physical and mental strain of flying a tactical aircraft. With 12-hour working days and plenty of bookwork to supplement the flying, ENJJPT ensures that only the most skilled and dedicated graduates are certified to serve as fighter pilots in their nation’s air forces.
Founded in the 1980s, the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training Program hosts student pilots and instructors from 14 NATO Allies. Some Allies – Belgium, Denmark and Germany, for example – only train pilots at ENJJPT, underscoring the programme’s importance to the future of Allied air power.
This NATO Multimedia footage, filmed 27 March, includes shots of students and instructors flying in T-38 Talons from Sheppard Air Force Base, as well as an interview with the ENJJPT Vice Commander.
- 00:00 ~ Euro-NATO joint jet pilot training (ENJJPT) ramp at Sheppard Air Force Base
- 00:06 ~ Dutch student pilot climbing in T-38c Talon jet trainer
- 00:09 ~ Spanish flight instructor preparing to climb in Talon
- 00:13 ~ Dutch student pilot putting helmet on
- 00:16 ~ Dutch student pilot in cockpit
- 00:20 ~ Talon pulling out from parking spot
- 00:27 ~ Belgian student pilot taxiing to runway
- 00:36 ~ Romanian fighter pilots returning from training flight
- 00:47 ~ US Air Force instructor pilots prepping Talon for flight
- 01:18 ~ Student pilots preparing for a training flight
- 01:25 ~ Talons taxiing
- 02:00 ~ Talons taking off
- 02:30 ~ Talons in flight
- 03:17 ~ Helmets in equipment room at ENJJPT building
- 03:20 ~ Pilot getting fitted for mask
- 03:23 ~ Instructor pilot demonstrates manoeuvres
- 03:30 ~ Pilots get briefed prior to flying
- 03:39 ~ Belgian student pilot getting ready for flight
- 03:49 ~ Student pilots walking out of the building to go to training area
- 03:52 ~ Student aviators training in flight simulators
- 04:11 ~ Talon on display at entrance to ENJJPT facilities
- 04:18 ~ soundbite – US Air Force Colonel Scott Gunn, Vice Commander, 80th Flying Training Wing
- 04:48 ~ soundbite – US Air Force Colonel Scott Gunn
- 05:02 ~ soundbite – US Air Force Colonel Scott Gunn